* Important vocabs which frequently comes in the paper7th April 2020
1. CONGREGATE (VERB): (एकत्रित होना): gather
Synonyms: assemble, collect
Some 4,000 demonstrators congregated at a border point.
2. EXTENSIVE (ADJECTIVE): (व्यापक):
Synonyms: large-scale, sizeable
He has an extensive garden in his bungalow.
3. THWART (VERB): (विफल करना): foil
Synonyms: frustrate, balk
Antonyms: assist, facilitate
The government had been able to thwart opposition leaders to form new parties.
4.EPIDEMIC(ADJECTIVE): (व्याप्त): rife
Synonyms: rampant, widespread
Antonyms: limited, local
Shoplifting has reached epidemic regions.
5. EMINENTLY (ADVERB): (उत्कृष्ट रूप से): very
Synonyms: greatly, highly
It is an eminently readable textbook.
6. CALAMITOUS (ADJECTIVE): (विनाशकारी): catastrophic
Synonyms: disastrous, devastating
Antonyms: fortunate, successful
A calamitous fire swept through the museum.
7. DEPLOY (VERB): (तैनात करना): post
Synonyms: position, station
Forces were deployed at desired locations.
8. PRETERNATURAL (ADJECTIVE): (ग़ैरमामूली): extraordinary
Synonyms: exceptional, unusual
Antonyms: ordinary, natural
Autumn had arrived with preternatural speed.
9. LOOP (VERB): (लच्छा बनाना): coil
Synonyms: wind, twist
She looped her arms around his neck.
10. INVOKE (VERB): (उद्धृत करना): cite
Synonyms: adduce, instance
The antiquated defence of insanity is
1. TRIVIAL (ADJECTIVE): (महत्वहीन):
Antonyms: important, essential
Huge fines were imposed for trivial offences.
2. PRESUME (VERB): (अनुमान लगाना):
Synonyms: assume, imagine
Antonyms: infer, deduce
I presumed that the man had been escorted from the building.
3. PREEMPTIVE (ADJECTIVE)(निवारक):
Synonyms: preventative, precautionary
He was the supporter of preemptive war and conservative fiscal policy.
4. ATTENUATE (NOUN): (कम करना):
Synonyms: reduce, lessen
Her intolerance was attenuated by an unexpected liberalism.
5. ECSTATIC (ADJECTIVE): (उन्मादपूर्ण):
Synonyms: enraptured, euphoric
Ecstatic fans filled the stadium.
6. FUSE (VERB): (मिलाना): blend
Synonyms: amalgamate, combine
Intermarriage had fused the families into a large unit.
7. RESUME (VERB): (दोबारा आरम्भ करना): restart
Synonyms: recommence, start again
Antonyms: suspend, abandon
A day later normal service was resumed.
8. IMPLICIT (ADJECTIVE): (अंतर्निहित):
Synonyms: indirect, inferred
Antonyms: explicit, direct
Comments seen as implicit criticism of the policies.
9. FABLED (ADJECTIVE): (प्रसिद्ध):
Synonyms: celebrated, renowned
Antonyms: unknown, unsung
My art collection is fabled fortunately.
10. STICK (VERB): (अडिग रहना):
Synonyms: cling, remain
Antonyms: be forgotten
The plastic seats stuck to my skin.
1. EXAGGERATE (VERB): (अतिरंजना करना): overemphasize
Synonyms: overstate, overstress
Antonyms: understate, play down
He was apt to exaggerate any aches and pains.
2. DISCLOSURE (NOUN): (प्रकटीकरण):
Synonyms: divulgence, declaration
A judge ordered the disclosure of the government documents.
3. DEVASTATE (VERB): (झटका देना):
Synonyms: shock, stun
Antonyms: please, excite
She was devastated by the loss of her beloved husband.
4. DENOUEMENT (NOUN): (नतीजा):
Synonyms: outcome, upshot
I waited by the eighteenth green to see the denouement.
5.HUMANITARIAN(ADJECTIVE): (मानवीय): compassionate
Synonyms: humane, unselfish
Groups sent humanitarian aid to needy.
6. INHIBITORY (ADJECTIVE): (निवारक):
Synonyms: preventative, precautionary
Children of labor were less likely of family preventive.
7. RESTRAINT (NOUN): (संयम):
Synonyms: self-control, self-restraint
Antonyms: abandon, forwardness
He urged the protestors to exercise restraint.
8. CRITICAL (ADJECTIVE): (आलोचनात्मक): condemnatory
Synonyms: censorious, condemning
I was very critical of the previous regime.
9. DON (VERB): (पहनना): put on
Synonyms: pull on slip on
Antonyms: take off
In the dressing room the players donned their football shirts.
10. DISTRESS (NOUN): (पीड़ा):
Synonyms: anguish, suffering
Antonyms: happiness, comfort
To his distress he saw that she was trembling.
1. CEASE (VERB): (रोकना): end
Synonyms: halt, conclude
Antonyms: begin, start
The present system of reaping without sowing should cease immediately.
2. NOSTALGIA (NOUN): (संस्मरण):
Synonyms: regret, remembrance
Antonyms: undesiring, undesirous
I was overcome with acute nostalgia for my days at university.
3. ELEMENTARY (NOUN): (प्राथमिक):
Synonyms: rudimentary, fundamental
Every citizen deserves the elementary rights of citizenship.
4. EXODUS (NOUN): (निष्क्रमण): withdrawal
Synonyms: evacuation migration
The annual exodus of sun-seeking Canadians to Florida.
5. ENDORSEMENT (NOUN): (समर्थन):
Synonyms: backing, approval
The issue of full independence received overwhelming endorsement.
6. UNDERSCORE (VERB): (बल देना):
Synonyms: highlight, play up
Antonyms: understate, play down
The company underscored the progress made with fuel cells.
7. CREDIBLE (ADJECTIVE): (विश्वसनीय): trustworthy
Synonyms: reliable dependable
Few people found his story credible.
8. SOLICIT (VERB): (मांगना): seek
Synonyms: request, call for
Antonyms: claim, command
He called a meeting to solicit their views.
9. PROACTIVE (ADJECTIVE): (सक्रिय):
Synonyms: driven, bold
Antonyms: passive, retroactive
Employers must take a proactive approach to equal pay.
10. DISSEMINATE (VERB): (प्रसार करना): circulate
Synonyms: spread, distribute
Antonyms: repress, suppress
Health authorities should foster good practice by disseminating information.
1. QUAINT (ADJECTIVE): (सुरम्य): charming
Synonyms: picturesque, attractive
Antonyms: modern, ugly
He lived more than seven hundred years ago in a quaint little town of Italy
2. UNDERLIE (VERB): (बुनियाद रखना): fundamental
Synonyms: basic, basal
The fundamental issue which underlies the conflict.
3. SOBER (ADJECTIVE)(सौम्य):sensible
Synonyms: serious, solemn
Antonyms: light-hearted, frivolous
His eyes were twinkling, but he maintained a sober expression.
4. FRAGMENT (NOUN): (खंड): piece
Synonyms: bit, particle
Australia is essentially the fragment of a great plateau land of Archean rocks.
5. DIVISIVE (ADJECTIVE): (बांटनेवाला): isolating
Synonyms: alienating, estranging
The highly divisive issue of abortion.
6. MALADY (NOUN): (रोग): illness
Synonyms: sickness, disorder
He suffered from an incurable malady
7. CYNICAL (ADJECTIVE): (अविश्वासी): distrustful
Synonyms: suspicious, doubtful
Antonyms: optimistic, credulous
Most residents are cynical about efforts to clean mobsters out of their city.
8. HARMONY (NOUN): (सामंजस्य): agreement
Synonyms: concord accord
Man and machine in perfect harmony.
9. INEVITABLE (ADJECTIVE)(अपरिहार्य):unavoidable
Synonyms: inescapable, unpreventable
Antonyms: avoidable, uncertain
There will be inevitable consequences, which mold the future.
10. FRAY (NOUN): (दंगा): batttle
Synonyms: conflict, fifght
He charged into the thick of the fray and went down fighting.
Synonyms: liability, answerability
Lack of accountability has corroded public respect for business and political leaders.
2. CONCERTED (ADJECTIVE): (सम्मिलित):joint
Synonyms: united, coordinated
Antonyms: separate, individual
A concerted attempt to preserve religious unity.
3. ENSUING (ADJECTIVE): (आगामी):
Synonyms: following, succeeding
Antonyms: previous, prior
The theory was developed subsequent to the earthquake of 1906.
4. ENGENDER (VERB): (पैदा करना):
Synonyms: create, produce
Antonyms: stifle, destroy
The issue engendered continuing controversy.
5. ATROCITY (NOUN): (क्रूरता):
Synonyms: abomination, enormity
Antonyms: humaneness, mercy
A textbook which detailed war atrocities.
6. SEMBLANCE (NOUN): (समानता): similarity
It bears some semblance to the thing I have in mind.
7. ENDANGER (VERB): (जोखिम में डालना):imperil
Synonyms: jeopardize, risk
Antonyms: defend, protect
He was driving in a manner likely to endanger life.
8. SPARK (VERB): (उत्पन्न करना):
Synonyms: give rise to, begin
Antonyms: put an end to
The trial sparked many rumours.
9. OUTSTRIP (VERB): (आगे बढ़ना):
Synonyms: exceed, beat
Antonyms: fall behind
Supply far outstripped demand.
10. NULLIFY (VERB): (अमान्य ठहराना):
Synonyms: annul, invalidate
Antonyms: ratify, validate
Judges were unwilling to nullify government decisions.
1. ONSLAUGHT (NOUN): (हमला):
Synonyms: assault, onset
Antonyms: defense, repulsion
The onslaught was unleashed on the day that G8 world leaders met at Gleneagles.
2. PROXIMITY (NOUN): (निकटता):
Synonyms: nearness, presence
His close proximity sent her heart racing.
3. APATHY (NOUN): (उदासीनता):
Synonyms: unconcern, passivity
Antonyms: enthusiasm, interest
Widespread apathy among students was hard to witness.
4. CONVALESCE (VERB): (अच्छा हो जाना): recover
Synonyms: recuperate, get well
He spent eight months convalescing after the stroke.
5. SPURT (NOUN): (उछाल): spray
Synonyms: squirt, spout
A brief spurt of tears gushed into her eyes.
6. RECUMBENT (NOUN): (समतल): flat
Synonyms: lying, horizontal
Antonyms: erect, standing
They are not recumbent, and the hair falling from the head is curled.
7. INCUMBENT (ADJECTIVE): (पदधारी): present
Synonyms: current, existing
Antonyms: past, future
The incumbent President was defeated.
8. SHUN (VERB): (टालना): avoid
Synonyms: evade, eshew
Antonyms: accept, welcome
He shunned fashionable society.
9. AMELIORATE (VERB): (सुधार होना):
Synonyms: enhance, better
The reform did much to ameliorate living standards.
10. OUTRAGE (NOUN): (उल्लंघन करना):
Synonyms: infuriate, enrage
The public were outraged at the brutality involved.